So far, uTorrent 1.8 is the best version ever. It’s light and fast and there have been great improvements as far as features (such as the icon and user interface) and performance are concerned.
Even so, I know many users still wanted their µTorrent enhanced further that’s why I’m posting this step-by-step procedure which I’m sure will be of help to you:
1. Open µTorrent 1.8.1 (if you don’t have it yet, get it here).
2. Go to Options/Preferences or click the Preferences icon.
3. In the General settings:
* Under Windows Integration:
Check “Check association on startup”.
Uncheck to disable “Start µTorrent on system startup”. This will improve your system startup speed.
* Under Privacy:
Check both “Check updates automatically” and “Send anonymous information when checking for updates”.
Uncheck “Update to beta versions”. I’m sure only a few wanted to be beta testers.
* Under When Downloading:
Uncheck “Append .!ut to incomplete files”.
Check both “Prevent standby if there are active torrents” and “Pre-allocate all files”.
4. In Connection settings (this has greatly improved):
Check “Enable UPnP port mapping”, “Enable NAT-PMP port mapping” and “Add Windows Firewall exception”.
If you like extra security, check “Randomize port each start”; otherwise, uncheck.
5. In Bittorent settings:
* Under “Basic BitTorent Features:
Check all except “Limit local peer bandwidth”.
* Under Protocol Encryption:
In the “Outgoing” dropdown box, select “Enabled”.
Check “Allow incoming legacy connections.
6. In the Advanced settings:
Find the “net.max_halfopen” entry and then click it.
In the “Value” box, replace the default value with 100, click “Set”.
Click “Apply” and then OK to exit.
7. Now, in the lower part of the µTorrent window, find the box where the tick is located. A tick is the small icon which shows a green circle if your connection is good, yellow triangle if it’s firewalled, and a red circle when your connection is blocked.
Click the tick and a new window will open.
In the “Connection Type” dropdown box, select your desired speed.
For Smartbro, PLDT MyDSL, Bayantel and Globe Broadband, I recommend “xx-2Mbit”.
Click “Use Selected Settings” and you’re done.8. Exit µTorrent 1.8 and then re-open to use.